Thursday, June 26, 2014

Instant Messaging Is Not A Private Matter

Instant Messengers Can Be Seen

And your instant messages might be a source of spam and/or phishing attempts. This is now a fact since Facebook is now using the chat feature to target advertisements at the chat users, if you haven't had an add through your messenger yet (I have) and you use your messenger quite a bit, some keywords might trigger an add for you, Makeuseof has an informative article on this here.





I like my Pidgin Instant Messenger and would sooner rely on it than other means of communication on line. In light of this new information I am making moves to encrypt the accounts I use in Pidgin by running the plugin "Off-The-Record". I have jumped in a little deeper now and have searched for a more secure chat method and found this wonderful cross-platform software called Retroshare.




Retroshare is a Open Source cross-platform, Friend-2-Friend and secure decentralised communication platform.
It lets you to securely chat and share files with your friends and family, using a web-of-trust to authenticate peers and OpenSSL to encrypt all communication.
RetroShare provides filesharing, chat, messages, forums and channels.

This Open Source software is available for Windows, Mac, and many of the most favoured Linux distributions. Although I cannot speak for the Windows side of the Platform, by the looks of what I can see on my Ubuntu 14.04 machines the team at RetroShare has done a great job. I have two of my three computers set up with RetroShare and will soon have it on my Netbook as well for when I am on-the-road, the ability to install it on each computer and have multiple locations with one ID is a great feature.
CUDOS! to the RetroShare Team!

No comments:

Post a Comment