Saturday, January 11, 2014

Another Go At Mandriva

A few years back... (well, ok... more than a few years back) when I first jumped into learning Linux, Mandriva was the system that caught my attention. I ran Mandriva along side WindowsXP for a year or so before booting into Ubuntu (Hardy) and never looked back (at either... Windows or Mandriva).  I had realized that I much prefered the Debian systems ways of doing things, RPM it seemed to bee too "klunky" for my taste.

The recent release of OpenMandriva has sparked my interest again and I have once more installed this system on one of the PC's in my shop where I am giving it a run through. 


Still doubtful that I care much for the RPM packaging, I am finding the KDE desktop to be a favourable departure from Ubuntu's Unity. Being someone who likes a lot of "eye candy" however, I still believe that I prefer Gnome over either one, and will install Gnome into this system as time permits to give it a real spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment