Saturday, June 15, 2013

Saying Good-bye

My old server, it seems, has simply seen better days. I cannot complain as I have had a good solid 7 years of service from an otherwise useless old dell Dimension that was out of date when I placed it in service as a server in the first place.
On to newer and more energy efficient equipment... and a bit faster.  I am making the move to a rack mount system as a server, and being a fan of the small and energy efficient Atom... this choice from SuperMicro seemed a logical choice to me.
I have all ready upgraded my LAN to Gigabit and am looking forward to a server that can utilize that speed as well. I have a 40GB Solid State Drive for the Operating System (Ubuntu Server 64bit) and have two Seagate 3TB drives ready for installation.

If I was able to get 7 years of 24-7 use from the old Dimension... I will hope to be able to top 10 years with this one... I fear my expectations may be a bit too high... we'll see.

For now, I just need to sit back and wait for the UPS man to deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment