Sunday, March 9, 2014

Linux is more stable - (as compared to?)


It seems to me that some people just cannot bring themselves to ask the full question here, and often get confused as to what the second half of the question should actually be, although from my viewpoint there can only really be one thought to complete the question.

 

Linux as a server:

 
Linux is by far a much more stable platform than other systems where server systems are concerned. I have seen many questions asked about the cost of RedHat Linux being worth the price of its stability. Well, as a small business owner or private user I would have to say No... but these are not the uses that RHEL was aimed at. RHEL is aimed at large business mainframe servers... not the small DIY'er. For that you are better off with either Fedora, Ubuntu, SMS, or any other number of distro's that offer server editions. As far as which you should choose is totally a matter of preference and all offer pretty much the same abilities. I hear some push toward Fedora, and put Ubuntu under the bus (so to speak), likewise I have had others say that Slackware is far above any of them. I don't believe any of that and would never push one any more than the other... they are all Linux and are all equally capable... it simply works down to which system you are more comfortable or knowledgeable in using. I have a Fedora based (Vortexbox) server that has been up and running for over 6 years... no downtime at all other than times I have experienced total power outage or a need to reboot due to updates. Also to note I have a Ubuntu system that I have had up as a Media Center PC for over 5 years with the same stability as my Fedora server. So for one to make a statement that one is better than the other is simply not true, they are simply implying their own personal preference. For someone looking to serve up movies, pictures and have an “in-house” personal cloud storage I would actually recommend Vortexbox which is based on Fedora. It is simple to set up and has a very straight forward and easy to understand web based GUI. It can run Plex media server to stream media to any network attached device you have, but of course you could set up any other distro to serve them up the exact same way.

Server systems I will push the stability issue against, are the Windows alternatives. There is quite simply no way any Windows server can boast the uptime that any Linux (or Unix-like) server can.

No comments:

Post a Comment