Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The Migration to Windows 10

Have you made the journey?

Well, I went through the upgrade process a few days ago, and to give Microsoft credit where it's due, the entire process went without any problems what so ever.

Windows 10 looks to be a decent choice for the last big upgrade to what Microsoft says will be its final major release.


I would however advise a serious moment of pause before jumping on the upgrade wagon... 



The PC I did the upgrade on I use for a telephone filtering (getting rid of unwanted out-of-area- calls and the robo-calls that telemarketers use) to quell the constant daily ringing of the cursed thing.  To my dismay the hardware / software involved didn't seem to play well with Windows 10. Unfortunately after several hours of trying to coax things into functioning properly, and the need to have the system function as it should, there was no choice but to roll back to Windows 7 Ultimate. Again where credit is due, the process was rather quick and did not break anything in the process. I was back up and running on Win 7 in only about 20 minutes, with everything working as it was before the whole switch.




Now my dilemma, now that I have upgraded and rolled back again all ready, has Microsoft's offer for the free upgrade been rescinded? or will they give another chance to those few who might run into an issue like mine, to upgrade again after support for the hardware / software has been fixed?

I have a strange gut feeling that any hope for an upgrade now for that machine would have to require a purchase of the Windows 10 system ... in that case I guess I will remain with Windows 7 on that machine for the remainder of its life.

No comments:

Post a Comment